If you remember, last month my household dyed sock blanks. Every other month for the next 8 months, I’m knitting a pair of socks from the sock blanks for the person who dyed it. First up is the lucky Davin, who dyed this blank:
So, I spent this month knitting his socks out of the pattern he picked out, and the socks turned out like this:
Pattern: Rick by Cookie A. (Ravelry link)
Needles: Size 2
Yarn: Knit picks sock blank dyed by Davin
Modifications: To make it man-sized (luckily Davin has pretty small feet) I added one pattern repeat, doing the sock over 72 stitches. I also added two repeats in length to the front of the foot to make it longer.
I thought the pattern was pretty cool and not very hard. In spite of that, I found myself making a lot of mistakes and having to tink back a lot. Mostly I did that in the foot, where the racing stripes switched directions, but it really was because I wasn’t paying enough attention. I also didn’t take enough notes on the first sock and (I am embarrassed) I had to rip out the heel of the second sock 4 times because I’d forgotten what I did on the first sock.
To accommodate for the larger size, I kept the pattern for the top of the foot the same, over 32 stitches, and just changed the size of the stockinette for the bottom of the foot. Instead of in the original version, which has the patterning over a little more than half of the sock, this sock has the patterning over a little less than half.
Davin really likes them. He thinks they’re warm and that the wool feels nice on the bottom of his feet. He’s also a big fan of the way the color turned out. So this month’s socks turned out great!