Posted by: mamakass | March 14, 2009

Finished Object–Dick’s Moby Dick

So, my boyfriend’s name is Dick, just in case you thought I was being vulgar. Because of that (and the fact that he’s something of a technology nerd) when I saw this pattern I immediately decided he needed a new cable controller! Mostly because I know he uses his earbuds and then I could make him a whale named after him!

So, here is a beautiful picture of the FO.

He looks so cute!

He looks so cute!

So, here’s the important info.

Pattern: (as linked above) Moby Dick Cable Controller by Brenda Burrell

Yarn: Some recycled thrift store yarn, which I have decided is sport weight, and is 100% cotton, used here doubled up.

Needles: Size 6 dpns

So, I don’t really like this yarn, partly because I think the color looks too dusty (which is fine for a whale, not so much for the dress I intend to knit with it, but it will be dyed). Additionally, the yarn isn’t really spun so much as seven ply thread run together. This is fine as long as you don’t mind paying too much attention to the yarn not splitting. This is not desirable for the gauge here, but worked fine.

Here's his backside!

Here's his backside!

The pattern was fine, but the cast-on made a bad point on the top and bottom of the whale. I tried to block it out on a small ball, but I wasn’t able to do that well enough. If I were to knit this again, I would use a provisional cast-on, knit a few rows of the pattern in the round leaving a long tail, then thread the long tail through the stitches and pull tight, because using this method has worked well for me in the past leaving a nice, flat center of the circle.

See? Pointy :-(

See? Pointy 😦

However, this guy will (hopefully) get a lot of use by Dick for his earbuds. Also, this pattern was super-quick. According to Ravelry, it took me 4 days, but that is because of how difficult it is for me to get buttons. I really finished it in about two or three hours and used an appallingly small amount of yarn.

It was also the first time I ever used the seaming technique I used, Vogue’s Horizontal Seam on Stockinette Stitch (scroll down), which looks very nice, because it looks so much like a regular knit stitch. You can see that on the first picture, and it looks pretty!

Ysolda’s button loop method worked really nicely and I really loved using it. I’m even thinking about using it on the new dress I’m designing. (I won’t show you anything of it yet, because it only exists in my head, as I still want to dye the yarn while I have it in hanks. (I don’t like the color enough to dye it after it’s knit, because then I won’t want to knit it much This yarn looks really frumpy.)

Overall, I’d say the pattern is pretty good. I’m not a huge fan of the yarn, but that’s because it’s not really yarn.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. […] But I think it will be cute. I’m editing the pattern to make it an ear-bud holder like Moby Dick. It will be cute. Additionally, my very good friend from elementary school came to visit for a […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: